City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Location within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Show map of the United StatesCoordinates: Collaborates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Area City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 ft (92 m) Population City65,239 Estimate 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (US: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summer Season (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS feature ID0584497I-70, I-270, United States 15, US 40, United States 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Website Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has actually long been an important crossroads, situated at the intersection of a significant northsouth Indian trail and eastwest paths to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what ended up being Washington, D.C. and across the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It belongs of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Location, which is part of a greater Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Area.
Frederick is home to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates general aviation, and to the county's largest employer U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research installation. Found where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) meets the rolling hills of the Piedmont region, the Frederick location ended up being a crossroads even prior to European explorers and traders showed up.
This ended up being called the Monocacy Trail and even the Great Indian Warpath, with some travelers continuing southward through the "Great Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, etc.) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or traveling down other watersheds in Virginia towards the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Founded before 1730, when the Indian path became a wagon road, Monocacy was deserted prior to the American Revolutionary War, possibly due to the river's routine flooding or hostilities preceding the French and Indian War, or just Frederick's better location with much easier access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
Three years earlier, All Saints Church had been established on a hilltop near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree as to which Frederick the town was named for, however the likeliest prospects are Frederick Calvert, 6th Baron Baltimore (among the owners of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county originally extended to the Appalachian mountains (areas more west being contested in between the colonies of Virginia and Pennsylvania up until 1789). The present town's first home was developed by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate named Johann Thomas Schley (died 1790), who led a party of immigrants (including his partner, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland colony.
Schley's settlers also established a German Reformed Church (today called Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Probably the earliest home still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, integrated in 1756 by German settler Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was among the numerous Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (as well as Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who migrated south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another important path continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it split. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other continued west to Cumberland, Maryland and eventually crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
However, the British after the Proclamation of 1763 restricted that westward migration route up until after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Road, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Space near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German settlers in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their objective church from Monocacy to what ended up being a big complex a couple of blocks further down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invitation to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury got here 2 years later, both assisting to discovered a churchgoers which became Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log building from 1792 (although superseded by bigger buildings in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was appointed in 1792, which ended up being St. John the Evangelist Church (integrated in 1800). To control this crossroads during the American Revolution, the British garrisoned a German Hessian routine in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, set up 1813, Principal Parish Church until 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not just was an essential market town, but likewise the seat of justice.
Essential attorneys who practiced in Frederick consisted of John Hanson, Francis Scott Secret and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was also known during the nineteenth century for its religious pluralism, with one of its main roads, Church Street, hosting about a half lots significant churches.
That original colonial structure was changed in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the primary worship space has ended up being an even bigger brick gothic church joining it at the back and dealing with Frederick's Town hall (so the parish remains the earliest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was integrated in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (across the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands along with a school and convent established by the Visitation Siblings. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was likewise rebuilt and enlarged in 1825, then replaced by the current twin-spired structure in 1852.
It became an African-American congregation in 1864, renamed Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and built its existing building on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches dominated the town, set against the backdrop of the very first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later celebrated this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (eventually developed to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" went through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later ended up being U.S. Route 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht referred Jefferson in 1824 (getting a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a journal from 1819-1878 which stays an important first-hand account of 19th century life from its viewpoint on the National Road.
Church Street by a regional doctor to avoid the city from extending Record Street south through his land to fulfill West Patrick Street. Frederick likewise turned into one of the new nation's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Transformation, Catoctin Heater near Thurmont became essential for iron production.
Frederick had simple access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which began operations in 1831 and continued transporting freight till 1924. Likewise in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railway (B&O) completed its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the primary Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferryboat, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate troops marching south on North Market Street during the Civil War Frederick ended up being Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession question. President Lincoln detained numerous members, and the assembly was unable to assemble a quorum to vote on secession.
Servants also left from or through Frederick (because Maryland was still a "servant state" although an unseceded border state) to join the Union forces, work versus the Confederacy and seek freedom. During the Maryland projects, both Union and Confederate soldiers marched through the city. Frederick likewise hosted several medical facilities to nurse the wounded from those battles, as belongs in the National Museum of Civil War Medication on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's males through the city a few days in the future the method to the Fight of South Mountain, where Reno died. The sites of the fights are due west of the city along the National Roadway, west of Burkittsville. Confederate troops under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully attempted to stop the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial commemorating Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monolith Roadway west of Middletown, just below the top of Fox's Space, as is a 1993 memorial to slain Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina troops who held the line.
George McClellan after the Fight of South Mountain and the Battle of Antietam, provided a brief speech at what was then the B. & O. Railway depot at the present crossway of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque commemorates the speech (at what is today the Frederick Community Action Company, a Social Providers office).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Possibility Hall residential or commercial property for the a number of days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A big granite rectangle-shaped monolith made from one of the stones at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway commemorates the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from citizens for not taking down the city on their way to Washington D.C. Union soldiers under Major General Lew Wallace combated a successful delaying action, in what ended up being the last substantial Confederate advance at the Fight of Monocacy, likewise known as the "Fight that saved Washington." The Monocacy National Battlefield lies simply southeast of the city limits, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railway junction where 2 bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railroad and a covered wooden bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the website of the main fight of July 1864. Some skirmishing happened further northeast of town at the stone-arched "Jug Bridge" where the National Road crossed the Monocacy; and an artillery barrage happened along the National Road west of town near Red Man's Hill and Possibility Hall mansion as the Union troops pulled away eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battlefield of 1863 lies roughly 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The rebuilded home of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, just past Carroll Creek linear park. Fritchie, a considerable figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on a vehicle journey to the presidential retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the estate house of his dad. He ended up being an essential naval leader of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore together with Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's boy, Dr. Fairfax Schley, was important in establishing the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley worked as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys remained among the town's leading families into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a prominent banker, and his wife Mary Margaret Schley helped arrange and raise funds for the yearly Excellent Frederick Fair, one of the 2 biggest agricultural fairs in the State.