City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Place within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Program map of the United StatesCoordinates: Collaborates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Location City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 ft (92 m) Population City65,239 Quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (US: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summertime (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS feature ID0584497I-70, I-270, US 15, US 40, United States 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Site Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has actually long been an important crossroads, situated at the intersection of a significant northsouth Indian path and eastwest routes to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what ended up being Washington, D.C. and throughout the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It is a part of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Location, which belongs to a greater Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Location.
Frederick is house to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates general aviation, and to the county's biggest employer U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research setup. Found where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) satisfies the rolling hills of the Piedmont region, the Frederick location became a crossroads even before European explorers and traders got here.
This ended up being called the Monocacy Trail or even the Great Indian Warpath, with some tourists continuing southward through the "Great Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, etc.) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or traveling down other watersheds in Virginia towards the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Founded before 1730, when the Indian trail became a wagon roadway, Monocacy was deserted prior to the American Revolutionary War, possibly due to the river's periodic flooding or hostilities predating the French and Indian War, or just Frederick's much better area with easier access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
Three years earlier, All Saints Church had been established on a hill near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree regarding which Frederick the town was named for, but the likeliest candidates are Frederick Calvert, 6th Baron Baltimore (among the proprietors of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county originally reached the Appalachian mountains (locations additional west being disputed in between the nests of Virginia and Pennsylvania up until 1789). The existing town's first home was developed by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate named Johann Thomas Schley (passed away 1790), who led a party of immigrants (including his wife, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland nest.
Schley's inhabitants also founded a German Reformed Church (today called Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Probably the earliest home still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, developed in 1756 by German inhabitant Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was among the numerous Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (along with Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who moved south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another important route continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it divided. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other ongoing west to Cumberland, Maryland and eventually crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
Nevertheless, the British after the Pronouncement of 1763 restricted that westward migration path until after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Road, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Space near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German inhabitants in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their mission church from Monocacy to what became a big complex a couple of blocks further down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invitation to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury got here 2 years later on, both helping to found a churchgoers which became Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log structure from 1792 (although superseded by larger buildings in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was appointed in 1792, which ended up being St. John the Evangelist Church (constructed in 1800). To manage this crossroads during the American Transformation, the British garrisoned a German Hessian program in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, put up 1813, Principal Parish Church until 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not just was a crucial market town, however likewise the seat of justice.
Essential legal representatives who practiced in Frederick included John Hanson, Francis Scott Secret and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was likewise known during the nineteenth century for its religious pluralism, with one of its primary roads, Church Street, hosting about a half lots major churches.
That initial colonial building was changed in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the primary praise space has actually become an even bigger brick gothic church joining it at the back and facing Frederick's Town hall (so the parish remains the earliest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was integrated in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (across the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands along with a school and convent developed by the Visitation Sisters. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was also rebuilt and enlarged in 1825, then replaced by the existing twin-spired structure in 1852.
It became an African-American congregation in 1864, relabelled Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and built its present structure on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches controlled the town, set versus the background of the very first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later immortalized this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (ultimately built to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" ran through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later on ended up being U.S. Route 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht corresponded with Jefferson in 1824 (getting a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a journal from 1819-1878 which stays a crucial first-hand account of 19th century life from its perspective on the National Road.
Church Street by a regional doctor to prevent the city from extending Record Street south through his land to fulfill West Patrick Street. Frederick likewise became one of the new nation's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Transformation, Catoctin Heater near Thurmont ended up being crucial for iron production.
Frederick had easy access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which started operations in 1831 and continued transporting freight until 1924. Also in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railway (B&O) completed its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the main Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferry, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate soldiers marching south on North Market Street during the Civil War Frederick ended up being Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession question. President Lincoln arrested numerous members, and the assembly was unable to convene a quorum to vote on secession.
Slaves likewise escaped from or through Frederick (considering that Maryland was still a "servant state" although an unseceded border state) to join the Union forces, work against the Confederacy and seek flexibility. Throughout the Maryland projects, both Union and Confederate soldiers marched through the city. Frederick likewise hosted several medical facilities to nurse the injured from those battles, as belongs in the National Museum of Civil War Medicine on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's males through the city a few days in the future the method to the Fight of South Mountain, where Reno died. The websites of the battles are due west of the city along the National Road, west of Burkittsville. Confederate troops under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully attempted to stop the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial celebrating Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monument Roadway west of Middletown, simply listed below the top of Fox's Space, as is a 1993 memorial to slain Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina soldiers who held the line.
George McClellan after the Battle of South Mountain and the Battle of Antietam, provided a brief speech at what was then the B. & O. Railroad depot at the existing intersection of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque commemorates the speech (at what is today the Frederick Community Action Company, a Social Solutions office).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Prospect Hall home for the several days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A big granite rectangle-shaped monument made from one of the stones at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway honors the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from citizens for not razing the city on their method to Washington D.C. Union soldiers under Major General Lew Wallace battled an effective delaying action, in what became the last considerable Confederate advance at the Fight of Monocacy, also referred to as the "Fight that saved Washington." The Monocacy National Battlefield lies simply southeast of the city limits, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railway junction where 2 bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railway and a covered wooden bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the website of the primary battle of July 1864. Some skirmishing occurred more northeast of town at the stone-arched "Container Bridge" where the National Roadway crossed the Monocacy; and a weapons barrage happened along the National Road west of town near Red Male's Hill and Prospect Hall estate as the Union troops pulled back eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battlefield of 1863 lies approximately 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The rebuilded house of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, just past Carroll Creek direct park. Fritchie, a considerable figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on a cars and truck journey to the governmental retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the estate house of his father. He ended up being an important naval leader of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore in addition to Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's child, Dr. Fairfax Schley, contributed in setting up the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley served as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys remained among the town's leading households into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a popular lender, and his better half Mary Margaret Schley assisted organize and raise funds for the yearly Great Frederick Fair, one of the two largest farming fairs in the State.